How to Test Different Mold Spores
Mold comes in all the colours (and textures) of the rainbow - making mold testing an important tool in safely and effectively removing it from your home. Different types of indoor mold can be more common in certain rooms, can be more vigorous spreaders, and some emit dangerous mycotoxins. Mold testing in Toronto can help identify potentially harmful strains of mold in your indoor environment - but how does a mold test work?
DIY Mold Testing
These days, hardware stores have many different DIY mold testing kits. We don’t recommend them for three simple reasons: mold can be difficult to locate, DIY tests are easily contaminated, and it’s easy to get wrong or false-positive results. A professional has the specialized tools and knowledge to know where to look, to take accurate and clean tests and can help identify new or hidden problem areas.
Types of Mold Testing
Professional mold testing usually incorporates a few different elements. At MoldTech, we like to do a comprehensive check around both the interior and exterior of your home, which can often identify areas that need a closer look. We often take multiple different samples around your home, such as:
- Air sample: Using a small container, we capture air from rooms, basements, and attics, and sometimes a control sample from outside of the home too.
- Lift tape sample: A small piece of tape is placed on an area needing mold testing and then is lifted and placed onto a slide that is sent to a lab to be tested.
- Swab sample: Like the lift tape, the swap is run through or along a questionable surface and sent to the lab for analysis.
- Material sample: On some occasions, we even send a small piece of an affected material to be tested.
Because mold often grows out of sight or in difficult to reach rooms like the attic or behind walls, a visual mold inspection is not always possible. In this event, we have specialized tools that can help us obtain samples or take a look without needing to make messy holes.
Do Different Types of Mold Need Different Tests?
No! With a professional mold test in Toronto, one test will detect whatever type and strain of mold growth are present. Professional testing is very sensitive and can not only detect what type of mold, but how many spores are present and help identify areas with increased activity.
Work with MoldTech for Safe Mold Testing
Mold testing and remediation are important tools for keeping your home a safe and healthy place to be. During our complete mold inspection services, we:
- Take samples
- Use fibre optics, air manometers, and non-invasive radiofrequency gauges to locate hidden moisture
- Investigate walls floors, ceilings, basements and attics
- Investigate the HVAC system
As an insured and certified company, our services are backed up with hours of in-class learning from professional organizations like the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning, and Restoration, which ensures you safe and thorough remediation. For more information on how we can help you with mold testing or mold remediation, call us at 1-866-684-7684.
More information on mold testing: