Your basement can be a great extension of your home’s livable space, but it’s also not one that many people effectively use, often because it’s damp or has a funny smell. But it doesn’t have to be this way - many homeowners think the musty basement smell is a natural part of their basement, but it’s actually a warning sign that you likely have mold growing.
If you think there may be mold in my basement, the good news is that mold is both preventable and can be thoroughly eradicated. Mold is common in basements for many reasons, many of them self-perpetuating. Basements are dark and often have poor airflow, making them ideal spaces for air to stagnate and for things to settle. They’re used for storing things that make excellent dinner for mold spores, and they often have moisture to kickstart and supply mold growth. If any of this sounds familiar, the mold specialists at MoldTech can help you assess any potential mold issues and offer suggestions to help remediate the problem.
When we’re asked ‘Do I have mold in my basement?” the first thing we generally do is run a visual inspection. What can you see? Mold often appears as green, black, or dusty coloured splotches growing on wood, concrete, textiles, and other organic materials. Mold needs something to live on that will provide it a food source, and your basement is full of things it likes to eat.
Even if there are no visual identifiers to help you determine “is there mold in my basement,” that doesn’t mean that there isn’t mold growing. The second easiest way a homeowner can determine if there is mold growing is by smell. One of the first ways that mold begins to affect you, hidden or not, is through your nose. Most people will have an allergic reaction to the mold spores that are cast off as it grows. They may cause sneezing, itchy eyes, or a headache; but reactions can be much more severe, making mold a serious problem that should be dealt with.
Another thing that we look for when answering the question of “is there mold in my basement?” is moisture or water. Whether new or old, homes can have many problems, accidents, and other events that cause moisture to accumulate in the basement. Last week’s heavy rain could be coming through a crack in the foundation, or a washing machine on the fritz could cause a tsunami of water - whatever the reason may be, if that water isn’t dealt with promptly, it could easily develop into a mold problem that could really cause havoc in your home.
The best method for answering “Is there mold in my basement?” is to have a professional come in and inspect and test surfaces and objects for mold and mold spores. At MoldTech, we have over a decade of experience doing just that in residential and commercial buildings, and can offer you the best solutions for your needs. Keep your family and home safe from mold growth and ensure that any basement mold is removed promptly.
Learn more about basement mold removal in Toronto
Please, enter a valid value
Please, enter a valid value