Why Attics Are a Magnet for Mold
Attic mold remediation is one of MoldTech’s most requested services — but why is attic mold so common across the GTA? Unfortunately, there’s no one-size-fits-all answer; there’s a long list of reasons why and how attics attract and support mold growth, and many of the causes may be unique to your property. While attic mold removal is a safe and reliable way to eliminate mold problems, at MoldTech, we also like to focus on prevention and help you figure out why mold is growing in your attic in the first place.
Reasons Why You Need Attic Mold Removal
After over a decade of helping families across Toronto the GTA eliminate attic mold growth, we’ve noticed a few common reasons why attics attract and support mold colonies.
Here are our top 6 reasons why there is mold in your attic.
- Out of sight and out of mind: Most of us don’t visit the attic often, and frequent traffic is one of the best ways to detect changes in your home. The attic is out of sight, meaning it’s easy to forget and ignore. But an annual visual inspection is all most people need — if you have a general idea of what the attic should look like, you’ll notice any significant changes from year to year.
- Blocked or Insufficient Ventilation : Contrary to what many people believe, attics need good ventilation to work correctly. In our experience, a stuffy, hot, and under-ventilation attic almost always has moisture and mold issues and will require attic mold removal shortly.
- Insulation and Wood: Mold is an organism — it needs to eat, just like us! Mold feeds on wood, textiles, and other organic materials, which are plentiful in your attic.
- Dark and Quiet Environemnt: Mold thrives where it won’t be disturbed by environmental changes, and the attic’s generally quiet and dark environment is ideally suited for mold growth.
- Water damage: The primary reason for attic mold growth is water. Whether it comes from a leak in the roof, high humidity, or some other cause, moisture in the attic leads to mold growth. Keeping your attic dry is the best way to prevent attic mold growth.
- Heat & Humidity: Indoor humidity is one of the most common causes of mold around the home, and it can be particularly problematic in the attic. Humidity’s biggest enemy is airflow — so if your attic has poor ventilation, you’re more likely to suffer from humidity and mold issues.
How to Get Mold Out of Your Attic
If you notice signs of mold growing in your attic, professional mold remediation services are needed to safely and permanently eliminate it. The attic can be a hazardous space, so do-it-yourself attempts at mold removal are not recommended.
At MoldTech, all of our mold removal services include an environmental assessment that pinpoints the causes and issues that may be related to your mold infestation — allowing you to put into place strategies to prevent it from happening again in the future.
Contact our team today to learn more about MoldTech, attic mold growth, and how we can help.