Surviving Attic Mold
There are plenty of scary news stories about black mold in the attic, but how accurate are they? Sorting out the misinformation, horror stories, and urban legends before your attic mold removal in Toronto is easy — call MoldTech! While mold growth in your attic is a legitimate health and safety concern, you don’t have to cue the horror soundtrack just yet. Let us help you make the process of black mold removal in Toronto easy and fear-free.
Common Types of Attic Mold
One of the challenges we face as homeowners is what seems like a never-ending repair and maintenance list. That’s part of the reason why attics are commonly affected by mold growth — they’re easy to forget or put off until next time. Many attics in Toronto are small, stuffy, or hard to reach, making access an unpleasant or challenging task.
Some of the common types of attic mold we see during attic mold removal in Toronto include:
- Alternaria happens because of water damage and presents as a velvet-textured, green, or brown mold.
- Aureobasidium likes to grow on painted or wooden surfaces and appears pink, brown, or black.
- Cladosporium can grow in cold or warm spaces.
- Fusarium, which also grows in cold or warm rooms, and spreads quickly.
- Stachybotrys, AKA black mold, thrives in high-humidity areas.
Causes of Attic Mold
The reasons behind mold growth are simple: too much moisture! At MoldTech, we’ve found many different causes for too much attic moisture. Sometimes it’s from roof damage or aged shingles, while other times, it’s related to improper venting or insufficient attic insulation. Whatever the cause, the only way to have a mould-free attic is to have a dry attic.
How to Prevent Attic Mold
Preventing black mold removal in Toronto is easier than you may think. There are several easy changes you can make in your home to help avoid attic mould growth, such as:
- Install and route vents outdoors to avoid leaking humidity from the bathroom or kitchen into the attic
- Inspect the exterior of your home after storms or extreme weather to spot damage.
- Book an annual mold inspection with MoldTech!
- Air seal your attic to prevent leaks.
- Have an attic professional assess your attic and improve ventilation and airflow
- Seal your attic against pests and insects
Each attic is affected differently by the exterior and interior environment, making mold growth challenging to predict by area, building type, or age. The only way to conclusively know if you have mold growth is to have a regular mold inspection and testing in Toronto.
If you can already visually identify mold growth indoors, get in touch with our team at MoldTech as soon as possible. We’ll help you identify the type and cause of attic mold and work with you to come up with a plan to safely and efficiently remove it. To book a consultation with our technicians or inquire about attic mold removal in Toronto, use our contact page to reach out today.