Can You Get Sick From Mold in Your Home?
Growing awareness of how you can get sick from mold growing in your home has meant that many homeowners are paying more attention to the signs and symptoms associated with mold allergies. Regardless of the time of year or the age of the home, mold can quickly develop in homes that suffer from a lack of air circulation or an excess of water or humidity indoors. Besides being unsightly, mold can cause damage your home’s structure and many people have adverse and powerful allergic reactions to the spores that mold creates. Understanding how you can get sick from mold can help you identify when your symptoms may be pointing to more than just a season cold or flu.
Some symptoms you may experience
Because mold can grow quickly, it’s important to check for it whenever you may have had water or moisture in your home, or in less frequented places like the attic and basement. Getting sick from mold often looks just like getting sick from a cold, flu, or seasonal allergies. These symptoms include: www.watchesclocks.me
- A lack of energy
- Restricted airways and coughing
- Itchy, watery eyes
- Frequent sneezing and nasal congestion
Where does mold like to grow?
We’ve already mentioned a few places that mold can be found in your home, but at MoldTech we most frequently find it growing in attics and basements. However, mold can be found wherever there is a source of moisture. This can include:
- Inside or on your walls. Mold loves to grow on drywall and wood studs, and the closed environment of your walls can be an ideal temperature
- Near windows and doors where a lack of or damaged weatherstripping or building materials can allow water to enter
- Under cupboards and near pipes and drains
- Attic insulation is another frequent target for mold
- Furniture that is made of organic materials like wood, cotton, or wool, are also at risk for developing mold if moisture is introduced.
How do I prevent sickness from mold?
Nobody wants to feel sick from mold, and the key to avoiding illness is always prevention. The first steps are always to immediately address any water issues in your home - if there’s a leaky pipe, tighten or replace washers. If there’s a crack in your foundation, or a window needs new weatherstripping, replace it right away. Keeping water out of your house will go a long way in preventing a buildup of moisture that may promote mold growth.
If there is a flood or other water event, cleaning up and thoroughly drying out your home within 24-48 hours of the event is recommended. Ensuring your home has adequate ventilation, routing exhaust fans out of your house (not into the attic), and keeping humidity levels low will also help keep mold growth at bay.
If you are already feeling sick from mold and have found or suspect mold is contaminating part of your home, contact a professional mold removal company - mold can spread quickly, so safely and promptly removing it and remediating the site is recommended for your health and safety. If you’re feeling sick from mold growth in your home, give us a call at MoldTech for more information about our free visual mold inspections.