Has Your Toronto Home Exposed You To Mold?
While mold exposure on the job remains an issue in many workplaces, mold growth in Toronto homes is far more likely to affect you or your neighbours. Mold removal in Toronto has become one of the fastest-growing services in the GTA, especially since we began working from home more frequently due to the coronavirus pandemic. But how do you know if your home has exposed you to mold? Mold testing in Toronto can alert you to problem areas and find hidden mold growth that could be affecting your sleep and health.
The Physical Symptoms To Worry About
While there are many ways that mold can affect the body, the most common are:
- Itchy, watery eyes
- Running or congested nose
- Cough or wheezing
Certain types of mold can produce mycotoxins, which have a toxic effect on the human body and can cause much more severe health outcomes. This is why mold testing in Toronto is so critical — it identifies which strains of mold are present and can help shape your approach to remediation.
Indicators Around The House
What are some of the most common signs that you need mold removal in Toronto? Here are 5 common indicators of mold growth:
- There is a musty, earthy smell: Mold has a very distinct odour that is damp and earthy. Because it will often grow out of sight behind walls or furniture, this smell may be the only sign that you have a mold issue.
- You find moisture in dark places: Mold grows best in areas that are undisturbed and have a plentiful source of water from a leak, flood, or condensation. Places in your home where it’s dark, like inside cupboards, under sinks, in crawlspaces or basements, can often be mold problem spots.
- You see warping, cracking, or peeling: Mold doesn’t just grow on the surface of affected items. It actually grows into them, which can make the item brittle or cause surfaces or finished to peel, chip, crack, or warp. This exterior symptom is often a great indication that something’s not right underneath.
- Bleach causes mold to lighten: While it’s not a great way to permanently remove mold, bleach will still cause it to react — most molds will lighten in colour after a moment or two.
- Mold grows and spreads: A mold infestation will continue to grow and spread, unlike dirt or stains, which thankfully tend to stay put!
Work with MoldTech for a Mold-Free Home
If you notice any of these signs of mold growth or are experiencing any physical symptoms, mold testing in Toronto should be your first priority. Our non-invasive and straightforward testing is quick and creates no mess or damage to your home, giving you peace of mind and creating a healthier home for you and your family. If you have questions about mold removal in Toronto, our technicians would be happy to speak more to you about testing and remediation at 1-866-684-7684.