Does Home Insurance Cover Attic Mold Removal in Toronto?
One of the questions MoldTech clients often ask is if their attic mold removal in Toronto is covered by insurance. After a decade of speaking with insurance companies and stressed-out homeowners, we’ve learned how to help people navigate the system. Home insurance protects you against many different issues, and it can often help cover the cost of black mold removal in Toronto.
The first thing you need to do when you spot indoor mold growth is to have a professional team like MoldTech visit to assess the damage and root cause. Looks can be deceiving — a tiny patch can be an indicator of a much larger infestation.
Usually, mold is discovered because of two reasons:
- You’ve noticed a strange smell, high humidity, or a roof problem.
- You’ve recently had a flood or other water damage has occurred.
If you aren’t sure if your policy covers mold remediation, call your insurance agent to ask about your coverage.
How to Make a Mold Insurance Claim
Home insurance policies vary from provider to provider, and not all will cover attic mold removal in Toronto. In our experience, every insurance company needs to have your claim professionally assessed before beginning the claims process.
At MoldTech, we have plenty of experience investigating and documenting mold issues for insurance companies and can help you fill out any paperwork your insurer requires for a proper claim. We can help you decide what to claim for and what not to so that you can get the best from your policy without going over your limit.
Steps to Take When You Need Mold Removal
Whether or not your insurance covers black mold removal in Toronto, the process remains the same whenever you discover indoor mold growth.
- Call MoldTech for a thorough visual and physical mold inspection and testing.
- If there’s an obvious cause for the mold growth, like a leaking pipe, do whatever you need to stop it. This might include turning off the water, installing fans to dry out moisture, open windows, or plugging in a dehumidifier. Don’t know what to do? Wait for us to get there and we’ll help!
- Call your insurance agent to find out what events qualify for coverage. Get a written copy of the relevant policy pages if you can, as well as a copy of any forms you may need to fill out.
- After your mold inspection, the team at MoldTech can provide you with a quote and a list of recommendations. If your mold problem is covered by insurance, we can help get that process in motion and book a time for your mold removal.
While it’s scary to find mold growing indoors, many infestations can be quickly and easily dealt with, even if your insurance doesn’t cover it. The key is always prevention and early detection! To ask us further questions about mold removal and insurance, use our contact us page to reach out to the MoldTech team.